Monday, August 29, 2011

Teacher Talk Tuesday and First Day of School!

Yes, I realize it's only Monday :(, but Teacher Talk Monday just doesn't have the same ring to it!

So today was the first day of school and Oh Boy!  I forgot how exhausting the first week with little ones is!!

I think this will be my advice for new teachers:

  • Remember to BREATHE.  
  • Your first day your focus is to keep the kids alive and make sure they go home the right way!
  • You'll be lucky if you get through your rules, let alone ANY curriculum.
  • Be FLEXIBLE.  I can't stress that enough!  I have severe ADD with focus issues, so I require LOTS of pre-planning and lists and organization or I get flustered.  Luckily I have learned to be VERY flexible when it comes to school.  It's taken me a lot of time to get to that go with the flow mentality though, and every year I panic in the last half hour before the students arrive.
I got all of my kids home the correct way.  I only had 1 panic moment where a parent came up to me at the end of the day looking for their child and I had no idea who they were talking about (their child wasn't in my class, I'm not just crazy! )  I remember all of the reasons I LOVE my firsties, especially the time we spent singing!  Love singing!!  Oh and the hugs!  

I have a couple of little ones that are going to be a challenge this year, they were already testing the waters on the first day!  I'm going to have to get that positive contact out of the way QUICK this year!

Overall, a pretty good first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment