Monday, September 12, 2011

What a week!

I'm so sorry I haven't posted in a week!  Last week was a bit crazy.  I got a call on Monday saying that my sister's fiance has passed away.  It was very unexpected and I'm really still in shock.  So needless to say, my sub plans got tested last week!

Thanks to What The Teacher Wants for having her sub plans on her blog!  I took her advice and left a SUPER detailed schedule and lessons.  I also created a sub folder.  I'm super anxious when it comes to leaving my classroom in someone elses hands, so I always leave my worksheets out with post it labels and directions on them (on top of the detailed lesson plans).  I really wish I would have taken a picture of my Kidney Table, it was so organized and detailed!

And I came back to a MESS.  Yup, Capital M-E-S-S.  Not just a mess.  Apparently it was a new sub, who wasn't prepared to walk into a neighborhood like the one I teach in!  She had a horrible day on Thursday, and I guess my kids were pretty bad.  Another teacher had to come in and yell at them!  Eek!  How embarrassing!   Well then I guess she was so rattled that on Friday she didn't do half of the things I left...Like didn't teach Science at all.  And instead of using the reading worksheets I left, she skipped those and used the "if you are finished with EVERYTHING else" worksheets....

Oh and instead of using glue sticks like I specified (TWICE) in my plans....she gave the kids bottles of glue for a cut and paste activity....they've never used bottles of glue before!  Needless to say I ended up with a giant ball of paper stuck together...Guess we won't be grading those!

I think the kiddos missed me, but holy cow had they forgotten the rules!  I think we'll have to start over tomorrow and try this whole classroom management thing again!

On another note- How do you handle kiddos who just can't stay awake?!  I know they just got back from Summer break and are still getting back into routines, but oh my, at least 1 each day ends up with a head on the desk while I'm teaching and no matter how many times I walk over and tap them or call them out, they still fight those eyelids!  A few years ago I had one, but he had a rough home life and Mom took him to work with her overnight, I felt terrible waking him up, but usually sent him for a drink at the water fountain to at least keep him up for a bit.  I would LOVE to hear your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment